These two brilliant bunches of flowers called my name at the farm stand yesterday. They both shared some of the same flowers and also each had a different one.
Somehow the white and red made me think of this black and white bowl (Target a couple of years ago). The whites of the flowers might work well with the white of the container.
In taking apart the two bunches, to ‘take attendance’ so to speak, I found 9 ruby Celosia, 16 white Cosmos (my most favorite summer flower!), 22 Zinnias in red or bicolor orange/yellow, and a dozen white Gomphrena.
Gomphrena, as you can see, are rather oddly stemmed plants with often three or four stems branching from a swollen nodule which in this case is bright magenta.
Because I had so many flowers, I removed almost all the foliage from the flowers. No foliage filler needed. Beginning with the Celosia and Gomphrena, I inserted the stems in a 4” flower frog (kenzan). It would have been easier if I had used some florist clay to secure the frog as it tended to slide when inserting the flowers.
Having set the framework, I began to add the Cosmos and Zinnias, always turning the vase to keep things hopefully symmetrical.
The last flowers added were the yellow/orange Zinnias to give the whole thing a little more excitement.
With so many flowers (and only $20!!!), the vase isn’t seen up close. You need to be across the room, or sitting at the table. Inside at the front, you can just see the pearly stones, used to hide the kenzan, glimmering in the water.
Four orphaned pink Zinnias snuck into the original bouquets. They were given a spot of their own. I hope someone comes this week to see them.